Sunday, September 4, 2011

ROME Day 2: PALATINE PALACE, THE COLOSSEUM, FORUM, PANTHEON, SPANISH STEPS, TREVI FOUNTAIN, and HEIDI'S BDAY

We ate at the hotel's buffet area, wherein they served Italian bread, cheeses such as Swiss and Mozarella, marinated eggplants, and the all-American breakfast I.e. Eggs, bacon, and sausage. Grapefruit, red-orange juice, apple juice, and lattes were available as well.

We took the train and later the local bus to see the tourist sites. We waited in line to get our €12 tri-pass at the Palatine Palace, where the Roman Emperors used to live.  We then walked to the forum closeby and then the Colosseum. These were just a beauty! I remember walking through the dusty and ragged stones imagining what it was like to live in the area... As I walked in the Colosseum, I fancied tracing the steps of the local Romans, excited to see their gladiators' sweat and blood. As I gazed through the open area, I imagined the roars of the crowd, as the emperor decided to place his thumb up or down to decide the fate of a human being. As we exited the Roman Colosseum, we saw local artists and their spray-painting techniques. One showed her skills while listening to some techno music, which seemed to have captured a huge crowd. We later saw a monument with intricate figures, one had a mustache about 5feet wide (basically bigger than some of my colleagues)!  A little later, we saw The Pantheon; it was beautiful with an open dome and also had Raphael's remains. A little later, the girls did some shopping at Ferragamo, Dolce and G, Prada, etc. I simply accompanied them and was at awe at the prices! I enjoyed my tiramisu and cappuccino gelato before heading to the famous Spanish steps. We sat next to the spot where Audrey Hepburn ate her gelato in the movie, "The Roman Holiday." We blended in with the huge crowd, overlooking another as they walked in and out of the famous brand shops. They looked like little hungry ants hoping to find good deals in Italy. It was nearly 7pm, and we walked about 5-minutes to the left down from the Spanish steps to the Trevi Fountain. I felt a cool breeze to my right, and I was just at awe to see the fountain. I made three wishes before we met with Heidi and her crew to celebrate her Bday.


[The Colosseum]
[Feeling like a Roman Spectator]
[A midst the Blood, Sweat, and Tears]

[The Roman Forum]
[The Palatine Palace, Roman emperors' abode]
                                     [The Pantheon]

[Spanish Steps]
[Trevi Fountain by Day]
[Trevi Fountain by Night]
[Roman Dinner]

No comments:

Post a Comment