Thursday, August 25, 2011

LUCCA Day 2: FIRST TRUE ITALIAN BITE and CHURCH DISCOVERIES

Woke up early, minutes before my clock alarmed for 7am. Took a cool bath, while my two other roommates were still sound asleep. After they all got dressed, we went downstairs to the cafeteria area, and were served real toast with jam and Italian butter... Beforehand, I was told that the caffe latte was good in Italy, and true enough, it was amazing, better than Starbucks! 

After leaving €3 for breakfast, the crew gathered for a quick meeting. Knowing that it was going to be 90+ degrees outside and most likely would get warmer, almost everyone was wearing shorts and a tank top... However, Professor Lenart mentioned we would be visiting churches, so everyone covered up.

                   [San Lorenzo Church]
The clock struck 9:30am, and we headed to the first church about a two-minute walk away from the ostello (where we currently stay). It was called, San Lorenzo Church, Byzantine-inspired structures on the outside of Jesus and his apostles and Renaissance-inspired structures and paintings on the inside of saints. My jaw dropped as I looked at each of the paintings in the church--it was like a museum! The intricateness really showed, and the stories behind them were inspiring as well! There was a mausoleum inside of St. Zeta, patron saint of single women. It was said that when her parents asked what she carried home in her skirt, she mentioned flowers, but miraculously, they appeared as loaves of bread! (If that's the case, then I would buy different flowers (orchids are common here) and bring them home with me! Looking up, the ceilings were painted to create an illusion of depth introwoven with intricate artworks. I wish we can incorporate the styles in our future abode! We also visited San Martino Cathedral, which housed dramatic, Baroque paintings, such as "The Last Supper" by Jacopo Tintoretto. I was mesmerized by the emotions depicted by the artists in the paintings, like "The Assumption." The paintings were so much like the ones painted by Mama-- the details, the strokes of the brush, and the smoothness of the transitions between the colors. It's as if they were coming to life! In our tour, we've passed by three other churches, but we didn't go in. I hope to attend one of these churches this Sunday.
  
[1st Thin-crusted Pizza in Italia]
The shops were amazing- of different varieties, both US-inspired brands like The United Colors of Benneton... I've also never heard of some Italian brands, but in every block (like the abundance of Starbucks in Seattle), Italian shoes are everywhere!!!

For lunch, I ate with three other people at the Fluoridi di Piazza (pizzeria), and for the first time, I practiced real Italian.. Asked "Dove il banyo?" first and later "Vorrei (I would like...)" this 4 different toppings (baked ham, mushrooms, artichokes, olives) pizza, and of course, "Grazie!" We paid €9 each for the whole 9" diameter, thin crusted pizza and my glass of mango juice, plus I had leftovers for dinner!

We came back to the Ostello and interacted with Señora Angela. She talked about the Italian culture and some facts. What I enjoyed the most was practicing some phrases, such as Ciao! Come stai? Molto bene! (Hello! How are you? Very good!) My neighbor asked if I took Italian, and I said I learned some phrases prior to the trip. I'm so glad I did...

We came back to the village as a group and had our second dose of gelato. This time, I had a melone e mango, two scoops on a cone. Afterwards, I accompanied Jerald, Lenda, and Helen as they did some shopping... I came along to see what the stores had. There were some leather shops, of course, shoe shops with European sizes, postcard stands and eating places, and so much more!

Enjoying our Gelatos- with buddies Je, Lenda, and Helen

Earlier, I helped Dr. Heitkemper, PhD, RN with her iPad connection prob. Amazingly, I persevered! We talked a bit about life and the nursing profession. She asked if I wanted to go to grad school, and I said I'd love to, when the right time comes... I also mentioned about nurse camp, and I'm glad she said she'd love to recruit some faculty members to help with our dodgeball event fundraising!

Tomorrow, we'll be touring the rest of Lucca, have cheese tasting, and another one of Señora Angela's Italian sessions. I'm enjoying every bit of this Italian trip-great friends and amazing food!

No comments:

Post a Comment