Tuesday, August 30, 2011

LUCCA Day 7: THE WALL and FIRST BIKE RIDE

Jerald and I walked "The Wall" this morning.. It's like the Burke Gillman Trail, wherein everyone, old and young, are free to walk, jog, run, and bike by themselves or with others. We spotted Italians and even foreigners jogging and walking with their dogs as well as mothers chatting alongside each other, as they pushed their babies' strollers.

About 15 min before 9am, we then headed to San Lorenzo Church and did our quick observation for our ethnographic obs. homework. Majority of those present were elderly people, especially women. We'll be heading back there at 6pm to attend mass.


[Italian nurse (orange) with Senora Janet explaining emergency situations]

We met with the whole group and saw more of Lucca. We talked about the so-called "fraternities," which consisted of a group of lay people, who volunteers during emergency situations. We saw two ambulances, much like that of the U.S. The male nurse wore a bright-orange uniform and told us that unlike before, Italians push their students to obtain a degree from a university. However, there is not much practical experience as it once was.


[Lunch at the ostello's courtyard]
After the short tour of another church, we dropped by a local supermarket. As it was almost 1pm, we ended up going to a nearby pizzaria, where I got mozzarella and spinach calzone... and a cup of home-made Tiramisu! The tiramisu had more creme than the typical one that's made in the U.S. It's topped with powdered cafe. Inside, there were two 2" bite-sized sponge cakes. The tiramisu was just right, and all the ingredients blended well together.



Helen and Jerald mentioned about renting some bikes near the ostello and riding them at The Wall, and yes, they were more than eager to teach a first timer--me! As it was almost the end of the day, we were given the chance to ride for about 45 minutes. Je and Hels taught me some basics during the first few minutes. I struggle a bit, but I assured them that before our alotted time was over, they would see me ride with the breeze. True enough, I stepped on the pedal with my left and pushed with my right. I heard Jerald and Helen yelling, "You can do it!" With an ounce of confidence and gentle push of the afternoon breeze, I began to ride the red bike. Just keep your balance... be free... you can do it... I told myself. Before I knew it, I was riding with my friends.

[Getting ready to ride with the breeze]
[Je teaching me the basics (photo by Helen)]


[Je guiding me (photo by Helen)]

[SUCCESS- thanks to my friends! ( photo by Helen)]

Thursday's our last day in Lucca. Everyday, we continue to find interesting places to go to. I can't wait to see Florence (I already booked to see Michaelangelo's David)!

No comments:

Post a Comment